The course introduces students to the current concepts and theories of Public Administration and Management (PAM) and their role in explaining the importance of public administration in the management of organizations.
The certificate in Public Administration and Management curriculum includes general courses in relevant area of law and communication, leadership and conflict management while focusing on core Public Administration and Management modules to provide a sound overview of the discipline’s key themes and issues. Consideration is given to both the traditional model of Public Administration as well as more recent developments such as New Public Management. The curriculum includes modules on decentralization and local governance; organization and management; human resource management; budgeting and financial management; etc.
The certificate programme is designed to introduce participants to nature and working of Ugandan government and public administration while also providing them with the opportunity to study, learn and become knowledgeable with the current theories and practices in public sector management. It aims to empower participants with knowledge and skills in understanding the nature and the role of Public Administration and Management in modern organizations.
Upon completion of the Certificate in Public Administration and Management programme, participants will be able to acquire the following skills and competences:
- Understanding of the nature of the administrative process and bureaucratic behaviour, leadership, and decision making.
- Knowledge of the laws and traditions that shape the internal structure and efficiency of public sector.
- Knowledge of how public sector organisations shape and are shaped by economic, social, and political environments.
- learn and practice the skills required to apply management theory in typical work situations in order to deliver effective and efficient government services
- gain the skills and tools to analyze and communicate complex public sector management issues
- Practical application of public administration theories and notions.
- Attitude to act as change agents within public sector organisations.
- Recommend and implement solutions to management problems.